The past few months have been incredibly challenging for us all, and we know how ready everyone is for camp with its friendships, fun, and wide open spaces. We appreciate your patience with our process of determining, ‘Can we open?’ or ‘Must we close for 2020?’ As you may know, we are guided/governed by the state of North Carolina, the CDC, and The American Camp Association. We’ve talked to our own doctors and nurses, who know us well… and who know the challenges that would face us. We’ve spent countless hours considering different cabin arrangements, program modifications, and overall guidelines that seemed most likely to allow us a safe summer.
The required group sizes and social distancing alone would not allow us to offer some of the most important aspects of camp: free choice, trips, and community. All activities would be done within the same small groups. Interaction among those groups could not happen for the duration of camp. Trips beyond the Back 40 would be eliminated. The flexibility that we all love… assemblies and campfires together, time spent with friends in a favorite spot, and big group activities like ‘ice cream on Otie’s Knob’ would have to wait for 2021. By the end of weeks of consideration, we felt our best ‘modification’ would leave Green Cove so limited, so restricted, as to be almost unrecognizable as the camp we all know and love. Even with all that, the exposure to Covid-19 is still too great.
So…. we have come to the painful decision to cancel all sessions this summer. We know how much the girls want to be here… and how much we want opening day with hugs and squeals of joy! Green Cove is beautiful now… but far too quiet! We have gone over and over every possibility, but cannot find a way. We would be putting the health of our campers, staff, and families at risk, and that is simply not acceptable. While this is very difficult, we will weather this storm, and we are not going anywhere. We will be here ready to greet you in 2021.
We are going to stay in “virtual touch” with our campers during the summer by email, Zoom, Instagram, Facebook, etc. We will have more on that as summer approaches. It cannot replace the magic of our in-person community, but we will do our best. For now, please take the following steps when you are ready:
• You have the same options as enrolled campers in terms of refunds and rollovers (listed above). Waitlisted parents can fill out this form.
• Your best chance for securing a spot for 2021 is to go ahead and fill out the 2021 camper application.
• While currently enrolled campers will have a guaranteed spot for 2021 until August 1st, after August 1st we will begin enrolling campers from the 2020 waitlist in the order that they are currently on our waitlist. After September 1st we will begin accepting new applicants.
We know families may be in different financial positions next year, so we’d like all current recipients to reapply for summer 2021.
You can find all of that information on our Dates and Rates page.
Yes! Those funds will go back to your “household balance”, not a specific camper.
Camp is not a non-profit, so donations are not tax deductible. Please consider donating to our Scholarship Fund, we anticipate an increase in the need for financial assistance as the pandemic affects the economic stability of many families. Go to www.chiefandcalla.org to find out more and donate.
Due to the amount of preparation that goes into opening our facilities and training staff, we cannot change course mid-summer. If there is any possibility of alternative programming we will let you know, but we just do not have that answer right now and likely will not for some time.
We know facing the loss of an Aide year is hard for our campers, many of whom have grown up at Green Cove and are looking forward to a summer of fun and leadership. With the number of Aides enrolled for 2020 in addition to those eligible in 2021, we are faced with some logistical hurdles. We want to give this question some serious consideration to see if there is any way we can have our 2020 Aides join us in 2021. We will update those campers’ families in 2 weeks time with a final decision.
Please keep an eye on our social media pages (Instagram & Facebook) and the blog on our website! We’re looking forward to bringing you little pieces of camp throughout the coming months. Please let us know if there is anything in particular you’d like to see. We know keeping in touch virtually doesn’t replace our in person community, but we do know it’s more important now than ever to connect with one another, and keep the spirit of Green Cove with us during these challenging times.